Adroit 2016, the annual inter collegiate commerce fest flagged off on 19th January 2016 with the theme ‘DAWN OF SUPREMACY’. The two day event focusing on creating a platform for various colleges to exhibit their credentials and show their talents and skills to capture the victory.
The Department of Commerce, Kristu Jayanti College emphasizes on two major aspects: time management and hospitality and indeed the goal was achieved. The Day 1 started off with the inauguration of the fest at SKE Auditorium. The chief guest for this event was Shri. Partha Mazumder, Director, Marketing and Analytics, Time Inc. (India). The dignitaries present on the dais were Rev. Fr. Josekutty P.D. (Principal), Fr. Augustine George (Vice Principal), Prof. Aloysius Edward (Dean), Prof. Vijaykumar (Head of Department Commerce), Prof. Raghavendra Babu (Staff Co-Coordinator), Prof. Monica Mathew (Staff Co-Coordinator), Mr. Rohan Jose and Ms. Vineetha Vijayan (Student coordinators) with the esteemed chief guest for the fest, Mr. Winston De Rosario.
The Presidential Address by the Principal highlighted that “Success mantras of successful companies have an ultimate aim of education which is to Connect, Converge and Capitalize.”
The chief guest for the day, Shri. Partha Mazumder expressed his views on the latest technologies in digital marketing. He also shared his experience in the field and also the challenges faced in the digitl marketing sector. He suggested the different solutions to overcome the challenges faced in the sector.
He also encouraged the students to collaborate to win instead of competing with each other and to lead from the front and enjoy themselves, more than anything else.
The participants for the fest were from various prestigious colleges such as:
Christ University DPS
Maharani Lakshmi Ammani College
Mount Carmel College
Garden City College
The fest witnessed the following events:
The event started with an aptitude test followed by investment portfolio and case studies these rounds had eliminations. Along with these the participants were given a sector to come up with an innovative plan or product with financial structures including cost sheet, revenue sheet, breakeven point, previous and forecasted balance sheet as well as concept explanation and STP and SWOC. The next round consisted of a B plan, followed by an overnight report and a synergy round along with the marketing event in which the participants had to convince a bank to give loan for an ID card cum ATM card. The selected participants then enter their semi-final round called as the’ agricultural round’ in which the contestant had to research on a place and come up with a crop mix and cost and revenue sheet.
On the final day there were 6 teams. They presented their final reports in front of the judging panel. It was an informative as well as interactive session between the judges and the participants. All the participants had an amazing learning experience even though it involved a little bit of stress. But as the saying goes, all’s well that ends well.
The objective of Human Resource in Adroit was to encourage the students to incorporate their knowledge of the subject in a practical manner. It also helped to discover and hone their people skills, to build their confidence and personality, to understand the need and purpose of Human Resource in a company and to build their competency for other such challenges.
The rounds conducted were:
1. Prelims report analysis – this was an overnight session for the participants to make them aware of what was to be expected as HR managers.
2. Mental Aptitude (Pictionary, analytical reasoning) – here, the participants were shown 25 slides containing different pictures that portrayed HR terms( ex: absenteeism) and 5 slides containing questions on analytical reasoning. This round was to test them on their terminology and understanding of HR.
3. Group Discussion – here, the HR team gave the participants a broad range of topics to choose from and have a group discussion. The topics covered various major aspects of HR (dealing with issues related to labour laws, recruiting the perfect talent, glass ceiling etc.)
4. PPT report – the participants were given a case study and a time period of half an hour to come up with a 5-slide ppt along with a report containing a brief company overview and one main solution pertaining to the case. It was to test how ethical and professional amidst a situation.
5. Insane recruit – This round was a fun-filled yet stressful round for the participants. They were head-hunting for extremely efficient employees who were overqualified for the job offered. It was a- convince and recruit round in which the participants were made aware of the ‘fieldwork’ of HR.
6. Treasure hunt – here, participants were provided with clues about the volunteers, and were made to find them within the building. As soon as they found the volunteer assigned to them, they were told to convince the volunteers as per the case given. 7. Synergy with finance – a mix with the event of finance where the finance dept. had lost a huge amount of money and they are to address the CFO of the company. The HR participants were tested on their coordination with their finance team within the same company.
Marketing is one of the most exciting rounds of Adroit. Marketing activities are numerous and varied because they basically include everything needed to get a product off the drawing board and into the hands of the customer. The broad field of marketing includes activities such as:
The rounds conducted were:
1. Aptitude round
2. Product Launch
3. Synergy with HR
4. Hoax Me Not (case study)
5. Presentation of sectors
Mock stock is a simulation of the actual market. In this game the main aim is to show the students how stock market actually works, how to create ideas and solutions to invest in such avenues and thereby make a profit. A certain amount of cash and certain amount of shares will be given to participants to start their game. There were three sessions of play each containing a circuit breaker. Each team consisted of four members out of which two will be traders and one will be an auditor and one will be an accountant. Participants are supposed to invest in the shares which they think is profitable in the future. The team with highest net worth was awarded the winner.
Business Quiz was conducted rounds where the teams were put through 9 different rounds like company headquarters, print ads, connections, taglines etc. and through a fun filled journey the winners, the truly talented were recognized and picked. The potential of some students is outstanding and Adroit brings out the best in them.
PR is mainly centered on handling a crisis using both technical and street smart skills to understand , analyze and come with the best possible results
The purpose of conducting rounds on Best Manager was to test the BASIC abilities of the participants, namely, on their ability to, convince, assert their points, and adapt to any given situation (on problems pertaining to inside as well as outside of an organization). Each round involved testing them on their COMMUNICATION, PRESENTATION as well as CONTENT and CONDUCT.
Every year Adroit aims at improving itself more and more and this year it has proven to rise above the benchmark set last year.
On the second day event reached its end and the valedictory function was embraced by the Fr. Immanuel P J, Faculty, Department of Psychology, who in his address mentioned to the participants, every person in the global business functioning must have a journey with a purpos
After a long period of exhausting presentations and skill challenges, the Overalls were awarded to Christ University (Department of Professional Studies), Bangalore and the Runners Up to Presidency College, Bangalore. All competed to their best and proved the quote “Participation is more important than winning”